List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       David Faure <dfaure () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2003-08-10 13:04:45

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 17:52, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 August 2003 17:44, Leo Savernik wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > I think the functionality of "Edit file type" could be provided as part
> > > of "Open With..."
> >
> > You mean,
> > Open With >
> > 	app 1
> > 	app 2 ...
> > 	---
> > 	Edit file type
> > ?
> >
> > That's indeed an alternative I could become comfortable with (though I
> > still think I'd better become a part of the properties dialog).
>
> No, I meant the open with dialog itself.
>
> It has a checkbox for "Remember application association for this type of file"
> checkbox, so it would be logical if it also mentioned what "this type of
> file" actually was, with the possibility to change it.

Possible confusion here: this isn't about "changing the file type of a given file",
this is about "editing the configuration for this type of file", i.e. opening the
"File Associations" dialog for this type of file, to choose which app is to be preferred,
etc.
However I agree that the naming is a bit unclear, and that the RMB is too
crowded, and that the "open with" dialog is the best place for this indeed.
Leo: I'm glad you're using that option so much, but this is still about changing
the configuration (to avoid an "open with" every time you click on a file),
so doing it from the "open with" dialog itself would make sense. We do have to
trim down those RMB menus. This leaves out a bit the "embedded viewer"
configuration though, I'm wondering if users will think about using "open with"
to change which embedded viewer should come up for a given type of file.

I'm wondering how the button would be named though.
"Edit file associations for this type of file"?
"Edit file associations for <HTML document>"? (sentence-building from
the mimetype comment, never really good grammatically).

PS: I agree with reducing the two tab-related options to a single one.
The rest of the proposal makes little sense though (Open With,
Preview In, and Actions are very much needed).
khtmlimage needs more khtml hackery to remove some options that
don't apply, like "Select All", indeed. Those are not there intentionally.