List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Openwith menu broken
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-07-24 14:47:59

Hi!

For quite some time now this is bugging me, the "Open with" menu is kind of
broken. At least this is what it appears like, I suspect the real propblem
lies some where deeper. The problem: To pick the worst example, my open with
menu for postscript files shows 6 KGhostview entries! Most other apps show up
only two or three times. Some only once as it should be, these seem to be
mostly non KDE apps.

First, in the KGhostview case there are two times three entries, this seems to
be related to profilerc. If I delete it or "edit file type" i'm left with
just tree entries. OTOH the 6 entries sometimes magically reappear. Also the
"edit file type" dialog shows just three entries.

Next, I'm left with tree entries per KDE app. I have those kghostview.desktop
files:
a) $KDEDIR/share/applnk/Graphics/kghostview.desktop
b) $KDEDIR/share/applications/kghostview.desktop
c) $KDEHOME/share/applnk/Graphics/kghostview.desktop
Now, one entry seems to stem from c), another from a) and the last one I don't
know. It even remains if I delete all three...

Whats b) btw?? Is it a new way to store applnk files? If yes, shouldn't  there
be legacy support or automatic deletion of a) and c)?

Another thing is that the entry order in the menu often isn't retained.

What certainly plays a role in that problem, is that I rarely delete my
$KDEDIR(as I hate recompiling all 3rd party KDE apps, which often needs a lot
of manual tweaking) and actually never delete my $KDEHOME for apparent
reasons. So both probably contain old neglected deposits from times long
since gone. But I suppose this is the case for many users.

So what am I supposed to do now? Delete a) c) and what ever for each KDE app?
Should I delete my applnk dirs altogether? And even I do I'm still left with
the magic duplication of the remaining entry.

Greets

Michael