List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Webdav + Zope
From:       Hamish Rodda <meddie () yoyo ! cc ! monash ! edu ! au>
Date:       2002-03-19 23:11:19

On Wednesday, 20th March 2002, Paul Everitt <paul@zope.com> wrote:
> Hamish Rodda wrote:
>> As a preface to my answers, integration is somewhat hampered by the user
>> interface capabilities of kio.  I hope to get around this with a konqueror
>> plugin (a kpart). At the moment I don't have a time frame for this
>> however.
>
>Yes, this UI issue is the part where I also don't understand the options.

Kparts can be used to provide a different user interface in Konqueror,
including such things as showing which files are locked, edit source options
etc.

>> Yes... the slave is aware of this and sends detected script locations to
>> the kde app. A kpart is needed for konqueror to be aware in the UI.
>
>Ideally, in KWord I could do "Edit Source" if the server tells the
>client there is a src available in the properties.

Hmmm - now I think about it, this could be added universally with a small
dialog... I'll think about it a bit more...

>>>2) Mime type.  Zope is a rich object system, where you can have
>
>Right-click, New->[sequence of builtin types, sequence of extended types]
>
>This is the behavior under Windows.

Ok, needs investigation.

>>>4) Lock/unlock.  It should be simple to set/remove the lock on a Zope
>>>resource.  As we start do implement more versioning in Zope, there will
>>>need to be more operations (checkout/checkin/revert/etc.), as well as
>>>displaying the versioning status.
>>
>> Again, done but requires a kpart or custom app support.
>
>I don't think that it should, since there are HTTP verbs that specify
>this.  It is simply a question of how (or whether) to display it).

The support described is only on the user interface; the logic is built into
the slave already.

>Any idea if Kate can handle XML namespaces on attributes, such as:

They are highlighted properly, yes. I don't think Kate provides much more
support than highlighting.

>>>1) Sync.  I've wanted this for a while -- the ability to do a visual,
>>>rsync-style application between the local filesystem and Zope (or two
>
>Not really like versioning.  Rather, a two-paned view that compares
>local to remote, then shows the add/change/delete differences in
>resources.  Similar to cadaver, which has a Gnome frontend.

That is a possibility but I would think a rather distant one.

>>>3) Rich presentation.  There is probably a way to make the non-file
>>>information in Zope, such as security settings and properties, viewable
>>>and settable in KDE.  Any ideas, without writing a dedicated app?
>>
>> Again, a job for the kpart.
>
>Right.  Can a kpart be written in Python?

With the new bindings, I believe so...

Cheers,
Hamish.