List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KIOSlave errors an konqueror's handling of them
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-01-25 11:22:54

On Friday 25 January 2002 08:57, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> When calling error( int _errid, const QString &_text ); in an kioslave, what
> content should the QString hold? The reason I ask is errors such as the
> timeout error give something like (can't remember exactly):
>
> Timeout on Timed out while waiting to connect to %1
>
> where %1 is the host... and I don't want to have to dig through konq's code
> find out who was right, the ioslave to return a full sentance, or konq for
> prepending part of the sentance already.

"Konqueror" has little to do with this. The error message building is all done
in kio/global.cpp. There's no "right or wrong", I mean, if we accept the
current strings in global.cpp then it's the ioslave that's wrong, it's
supposed to return the host as the additional text for the error, not a full
sentence. The idea was to avoid duplicating those same sentences everywhere,
and simply requiring the slaves to pass the variable information, usually the
hostname.

> In fact, I'd even be happy to overhaul konq's error message presentation,
with
> the option of fancy error messages, but I guess it would have to wait for
3.1
> with the i18n changes and all...
fancy error messages: isn't that what ERR_SLAVE_DEFINED is about now ?
Wrt i18n: AFAIK it's not frozen yet, I think you have 3 days ;)

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops