List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: cvs HEAD konqueror issues
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-18 3:37:44

On Sunday 16 December 2001 06:47, Pavel Troller wrote:
> >    Wow I don't see this at all.  Do you have some examples?  I have found
> > that konqueror in HEAD is _much_ faster than 2.x.  There have been many
> > optimizations in http and especially SSL.  Also JS is much better
> > performing.
>
> were You at www.flashnews.cz ? Did You see the ticker (incorrectly) moving
> ? Did you wait until the page loaded and then tried to browse this site ?
> When I'm trying this, the following appears:

  If it's only one site. then it's probably not a big deal, really.  I
haven't seen problems anywhere, and sites like, for example
http://www.uoftbookstore.com/ , are finally now usable in konqueror.

[...]
> - Positioning the pointer over the link: The arrow cursor changes to the
> finger about 20 second later. Until then, clicking is useless (it is
> rememebered and after the cursor changes, the link is followed).
> - During loading the page, the gear rotates but the frames change about
> twice per second.
> - Sending the termination signal (by widget or by menu) terminates it, but
> also about 15 seconds later.

Sounds like they have a high speed timer setup...  or something similar.  I
don't dare go look after hearing this. :)

> All this on the Athlon/1G with 512 M of RAM.
> CPU load when standing on such a page is about 1.16 (just measured). It's
> really better than with 2.2, it used to be about 1.60.
> The load is divided between X server (80%) and kdeinit: konqueror -silent
> (the rest). It seems that konqueror hogs the Xserver by sending commands to
> it. Note the following:

   Well one site doing this is not an overall example of brokenness in
konqueror.  It may point out a specific bug, but I think that your
performance questions are unfounded right now.  Konqueror should be
performing better than ever in CVS.

--

George Staikos