List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: How to implement password manager?
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-28 8:24:14

On Wednesday 28 November 2001 03:19, Tim Jansen wrote:
> Looking at the KDE sources, I wonder how and especially where to implement
> a Mozilla-like password manager. I can see two possibilities:
> - do it in konqueror. When the html view is used the DOM interfaces are
> used to scan all forms and to restore their values. When the form is
> submitted konqueror must somehow intercept this and store the values of the
> submitted form. I couldn't find out whether it is possible to set a
> "onSubmit" event handler with the C++ DOM interface, is this currently
> possible? And do I see it correctly that there is currently no dependency
> at all between khtml and konqueror (no special code in konq only for khtml
> pages)?
> The advantage of this solution is that it keeps "higher-level"
> functionality out of khtml. The disadvantage is that it is the first (??)
> case where there is special code for handling HTML pages in Konqueror.
> Intuitively I would prefer this solution.
> - do it in khtml. The implementation would be similar, but completely
> inside khtml.
>
> Which would be the right way (and, should I write the patch, have a chance
> of making it into CVS)?

   We've already started it.  It's called KWallet, and it has ability to
store form data, passwords of all sorts, CC#'s.... whatever the app and user
choose to store in it.  Right now it accepts unicode passwords and encrypts
using 16 rounds blowfish.  However there is not much to see because only the
storage backend is implemented.  Dawit is working on the internal file
representation and the hooks to kdesud now.  Then there will be a generic API
that any app can use to create it's own wallet(s).  If you have any feedback
or would like to contribute, please have a look at kdelibs/kwallet and you
can speak with adawit@kde.org and myself.

   For KDE 3.0, we hope to have form data, http auth passwords, SSL
certificate passwords, and kdesu passwords storable in the wallet.
Eventually we can make a nice GUI for managing it and storing things like
CC#'s and personal data for easy access.

--

George Staikos