List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: PATCH: Opera mouse gestures in Konqueror
From:       "Jean-Philippe Bouchard" <jean-philippe.bouchard () mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2001-11-28 6:10:31

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carsten Pfeiffer" <carpdjih@cetus.zrz.tu-berlin.de>
To: <kfm-devel@kde.org>
Cc: "Jean-Philippe Bouchard" <jean-philippe.bouchard@mcgill.ca>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 10:23 AM

> On Monday 26 November 2001 10:13, Simon Hausmann wrote:
>
> > >     Now about the patch. Ever since Opera started implementing mouse
> > > gestures in their browser (http://www.opera.com/windows/mouse.html) I
> > > wanted to have them in Konqueror. The new feature 'Right click goes
back
> > > in history' of KDE 3 is useful but it is nothing compared to mouse
> > > gestures. Earlier this week, I decided to give the implementation of
> > > mouse gestures in Konqueror a try. I implemented back and forward
mouse
> > > gestures in this patch
>
> Hmm, there is kgesture, which is a separate application and can control
other
> apps via DCOP. If that is too limiting, what about making a library out of
> it, additionally? That's IMHO better that hardcoding a few gestures into a
> single application (although for a very short-term solution, that might be
> ok).

I looked at kgesture and I think, that with some modifications, it could do
the job. For example, I recorded the back gesture and associated it with the
action "dcop konqueror-31416 konqueror-mainwindow#1 activateAction back" and
it worked perfectly (aside from the fact that I had to harcode the PID and
that it would go back even when not in focus). These 2 problems can be
solved by iterating through all windows of all konqueror instances and using
DCOP to find out which one is under the mouse, if any (btw, anybody knows
how to access a konqueror window other than the main window?). What remains
to be done is set up a GUI to activate default gesture-action pairs for
common applications. I'll contact Mike Pilone, the author of kgesture, to
see what we can do about that.

Thanks for the pointer Carsten ;)
JPB