List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Table rendering problem, feature or normal ?
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-11-24 12:29:43

On Saturday 24 November 2001 14:10, Joseph Wenninger wrote:
> If I remember correcly, another developer told me, that large tables are
> slow, that's why he made each line a table (in the real website, there are
> about 50 lines)

Internet Explorer cannot render tables until the closing </table> element is
retrieved. Or at least it doesn't always do this, maybe there are cases where
it works ok. Either way, for a big table the result is that on a slow dialup
link a user needs to wait until the whole table is loaded to see the first
element.

Netscape 4 is even worse in that respect. I don't know about Opera and
Mozilla, so I leave that as an excercise to the reader. Konqueror does a
great job here and progressively renders tables regardless of whether the
whole table is available or only a small part.

On the other hand, this same progressive re-layouting can be expensive if
it's done unnecessary. On a fast link (say local files, 100Mbit network, ...)
Konq IMO does a bit too much relayouting which makes it look slow on complex
pages. While at home my connection is fairly poor and Konq seems to do too
_little_ relayouting!

I already asked about this before (read the archives). If I understand the
code that does the relayouting and I can come up with a decent scheme that
adjusts itself better to the environment then I might try to patch it a bit.

Martijn