List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: SPAN display: inline/block?
From:       "Thomas Schilling" <snuffeler () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-11-22 20:55:31

> I noticed that Konqueror started a new block before a longer SPAN-element
(i
> used a bullet list inside). I'm not sure how a span with a block-element
> inside should be rendered correctly but it wasn't the way I thought it
would
> be rendered. The SPAN element only changed the color.

Ok, let me explain better:
The span tag I used adds color:blue. I guess at the moment it works like
this:
- By default <span> is diplay:inline.
- But now I added a <ul> inside the <span> which is rendered as a block
- Thus, according to simple CSS rules the original inline element <span>
  is rendered as a block element because if one child is a block the
  element has to be a block
So, obviously, Konqueror, treats it right to general CSS rules.
The problem is <span> doesn't abide by _general_ CSS rules. It's a special
case. The only function of <span> is to add it's CSS-properties to all it's
children and have no display properties.

That's my assumption. Maybe someone changes this anyhow.

> Furthermore: { border: 1px 1px solid black; } doesn't work.
For this I know no reason.

Thomas