List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: kio_mount
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2001-11-18 7:18:40

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 01:20:12PM +0100, Rob Kaper wrote:

> The more I use KIO, the more I think it does not belong in KDE. It should be
> available in a much broader context. It should live on top of the kernel, as
> system service.
>
> It's a bit unlikely that will ever happen, but a nice compromise would be to
> have the ability to mount KIO slaves. This would give every application on
> the system access to any content behind KIO slaves. For example, you could
> forego NFS alltogether and kio_mount a SFTP account.

IMO this does not belong in the kernel at all.  But it would be nice to
see something that's useable outside of KDE.  A while ago I was thinking
that you could have a program setup an FIFO that would serve as an access
point to a KIO URL.

However, if you're hell bent on mounting them.. why not do something NFS
based.  Basically it would be a daemon that'd act as an nfs server but in
reality it would do KIO stuff in the background.  This would also have the
advantage of being more (easily) portable.

- alex