List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: SVG implementation in KDE [Fwd: Re: Opacity 0-1: Bad Idea?]
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-12 13:56:58

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 02:52:20PM +0000, Vadim Plessky wrote:

> I am wondering what is the current state of KDE's SVG support, and wether
> KDE/Konq should be added to the list of programs supporting SVG?
> In case we have SVG support working, we should inform about it Chris Lilley
> and, may be, W3C SVG Working Group.

One particular use of SVG in KDE might be icons. Niko made a patch
for svg support in the iconloader and we were recently discussing
it, encountering technical problems. Like icons in KDE are pixmaps
(X pixmaps) . Our icons have masks set, to give them a proper
non-rectangular shape. The information about which of the colors in
the source image file is meant to be the transparent color is IIRC
defined by the artists. As far as I can see this is different with
SVG, where the artist just defines the shapes, with the initial
'paper' being transparent. So the problem when rendering an SVG
image into a pixmap using Qt's SVG implementation (which has the
advantage that it is automatically available on all systems) is how
to get the background right, how to get it transparent.

Does anybody have an idea for a clean (not RENDER specific)
solution? :-}

(it would be a pity if we'd have to got for yet another third party
library just to this feature (like using the mozilla svg, which in
turn requires libart, which in turn requires libwhatnot...))

Simon