List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror web browser works with MSN.com
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-10-28 22:29:11

On Sunday 28 October 2001 14:24, Kevin Reichard wrote:
|   When did you do this? I just tried msn.com with Netscape 4.7 and 6.1
| (Linux and Windows), Amaya (Windows and Linux), Mozilla (Windows and
| Linux), and Opera (Windows and Linux) identifying itself as Mozilla 5.0,
| 4.7, IE, and Opera, and in each case the page loaded correctly.

Hello Kevin!

may I ask you to clarify what do you mean under "When did you do this?" ?
If you mean, screenshots for Konqueror and Opera blocked on MSN.com - than it
was 26.10.2001, around 20:30 local time (Moscow, Russia, +4 hours to
London)

I tried msn.com once more now, after receiving your mail.
Indeed, Opera is not blocked anymore. Konqueror was in MS IE 5.0 faking mode.
http://htmltests.newmail.ru/microsoft/msn_com-Oct29-Konq22.png
http://htmltests.newmail.ru/microsoft/msn_com-Oct29-Opera5.png

But http://photos.msn.com is still not fixed.
Notice ASP code on right side of Opera screenshot. This code was ignored by
Konqueror (therefor, nothing was displayed)
http://htmltests.newmail.ru/microsoft/photos_msn_com-Oct29-Opera5i.png
http://htmltests.newmail.ru/microsoft/photos_msn_com-Oct29-Konq22i.png
Well, under "not fixed" I mean that you are not blocked, but there is a
terrible error in server-side scripts, on Microsoft side.

Hope this answers your question.
If you have more questions, please do not hesitate to ask me

Best Regards,

Vadim

> [...]
|   > [http://www.konqueror.org], part of KDE project [http://www.kde.org],
|   > and while after initial attempt I got the same "upgrade" page in
|   > Konqueror [If you are seeing this page...] which you have seen in Opera
|   > and Mozilla, tweaking default userAgent string to MS IE 5.0/Win95
|   > (while running Linux) did the trick.
|   > I was able to get into http://www.msn.com, and get it
|   > displayed/rendered correctly.
|   >
|   > >From technical point of view, Konqueror is latest-generation web
|   > > browser/file
|   >
|   > manager, supporting all most important web standards, like HTML 4.01,
|   > XHTML 1.0, XML, CSS1, CSS2 (partially), DOM1, DOM2 (partially),
|   > JavaScript, ECMAscript, HTTP 1.1, PNG, MNG.
|   > Konqueror also support Unicode, as defined by Unicode Consortium, as
|   > well as many other different encodings.
|   > At a moment, Konqueror runs on a variety of different Linux/UNIX
|   > platforms, from i586 Linux up to Sun Solaris and IBM mainframes running
|   > Linux. More information is available at http://www.konqueror.org
|   >
|   > You can check screenshots how actually MSN.com look like in Konqueror:
|   > http://htmltests.newmail.ru/microsoft/msn_com-Oct28-Konq22-fake-as-MSIE
|   >-i.png There is a font-size problem on that screenshot, but it can be
|   > corrected easily by using Increase Font buttons in Konq.
|   > Screenshot2:
|   > http://htmltests.newmail.ru/microsoft/msn_com-Oct28-Konq22-fake-as-MSIE
|   >-font-increased-i.png
|   >
|   > "fonts too small" problem is not specific to MSN.com but pretty well
|   > known and present on all microsoft.com sites.
|   > You will hardly notice this problem using Windows (either MS IE or
|   > Netscape / Mozilla or Opera, as all they use Windows' system libraries
|   > for font handling) but it' very visible when you use Linux desktop or
|   > Macintosh. Problem is that all Microsoft pages are "tuned" to MS IE
|   > default CSS stylesheet, which is terribly broken in respect of DPI
|   > settings. I can provide you more information about dpi-handling issues
|   > on Linux [ differences with Windows, similarities with Mac] upon your
|   > request. Anyway, as I mentioned above, this can be adjusted for better
|   > reading pleasure by increasing font size (in Konqueror settings)
|   >
|   > Concerning fact of blocking Opera and Mozilla broswers on msn.com,
|   > I can add that inspecting msn.com html code, I found following URL:
|   > http://arc1.msn.com/ADSAdClient31.dll?GetAd?PG=PROSHP?SC=D1
|   > saved as part of http://eshop.msn.com/ page, I attach
|   > "ADSAdClient31.htm" file where I extracted it from
|   > <%var g_strBrowserAgent = new
|   > String(Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_USER_AGENT"));var
|   > g_blnBrowserAgentMac = g_strBrowserAgent.match(/Mac?/);var
|   > g_strBrowserAgent.match(/compatible; MSIE?/);if(!g_blnBrowserAgentIE ||