List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: ever spinning kde wheel
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-24 3:27:21

On Tuesday 23 October 2001 08:33, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Die, 23 Okt 2001, David Faure wrote:
> > I thought the "let the wheel spin when there is a redirection" change
> > was from Dawit himself ?
>
> Not sure, would be wrong then.
>
> > Well, to be constructive: what's the idea of the "the wheel spins on
> > redirection" change ? I guess there is more to it than that.... a one-day
> > redirection shouldn't let the wheel spin for a whole day, right ?
>
> IMHO it should only spin when its loading a page. while the refresh timer
> is running (and has not yet expired) it should show the stop button
> enabled, but nothing more.

Me too.  If I broke it, then it was unintentional and I will look at it again, but
I do not think my fix to not disable the stop broke this since I made sure at the
time the spinning logo was not affected.

> BTW, does KAction support two icons? we should change the look of the stop
> button to something that tells the user "this will stop the redirection,
> not the loading of the page, as the latter has already finished" in such a
> case.

This is what I wanted to do then, but people did not think this was such a good
idea.  Something about users might report way too many bug reports about the
button chaging color IIRC.  Anyways, IMHO this would still be the best approach
and much easier to explain than people asking why the Stop button is not disabled
after some pages finish loading...

> something like a combination of the reload and the stop button, which
> should be intuitive to "stop reload" ?

Well my actual thought was to use the traffic signal metaphor and have an orangish
stop icon whenever a redirection was present.  But anything that distinguishes or
elaborates these subtle differences is a good thing IMO.

Regards,
Dawit A.
 IMHO