List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KParts vs. Plugins in Konqi
From:       Ryan Breen <ryan () porivo ! com>
Date:       2001-10-21 19:55:32

On Sunday 21 October 2001 02:38 pm, David Faure wrote:
> Well you could associate your part with text/html, and make it preferred
> above khtml, and this way it'd get used for any HTML page.
> Or do you want to selectively activate it, i.e. not for ALL html pages ?
> In that case you could simply let khtml be the preferred one, and in the
> menus you should see "Preview with <your part>", if you associate it with
> text/html.

My KPart would never be appropriate for viewing arbitrary web urls -- I
basically want to write a Red Carpet / Windows Update type installer
application that uses HTML for all user interaction and embeds in Konqueror.
The goal is to decrease memory utilization, keep the user in a comfortable
place, and save me from trying to do widget design.

So selective activation is key, but I'm not sure that associating my part
with text/html is appropriate.  What I would absolutely love is a 'KDE
Update' item on the Tools menu that replaces the KHTMLPart with my KPart.
The user could stop running my application by opening a web url (which would
replace my part with the stock KHTMLView).

> A plugin is trickier to do, I think - it'd have to simply activate some
> functionality that you would have added to khtml itself (the biggest
> problem is the part<->plugin communication etc.).

True.  I guess I was wondering if I could do some sort of hybrid
Plugin->KPart.  How about this: I write a KPart associated with the mimetype
for the xml files representing lists of packages that can be installed with
my program.  I also write a plugin associating the action Tools->KDE Update
with opening a file of this mimetype.  That should load up my KPart when the
user clicks Tools->KDE Update, right?  Is there an easier way?

Thanks for the feedback!
Ryan