List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Feedback Konqueror 2.2
From:       Alexander Rawass <alexannika () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2001-09-24 3:31:47

Hi,

I just got KDE2.2 on my computer - very fine, what I can see ;-)

Some Feedback about Konqueror 2.2 :

* When will Konqueror have 'tabbed browsing' like galeon - I am just
migrating from netscape 4.7x to galeon, mainly for this reason?

* What about recursive downloading of Websites?

I'd like to be able to browse to a page with konqueror and click on a button
and
then a window/view should come up with a selectable/draggable list
(QListView) of all
links on this page; then the user could select the links he wants to download
and then give downloading to konqueror/kmago/kwebget etc.

This is the solution for the problem 'how to download 50 tar.gz files on a
http-page (with ftp/gftp, this would be easy) containing 100 tar.gz files.

Just see a http-web page like a ftp-directory: the page is a directory, the
links on this page are the files/dirs.

An implementation of this behaviour can be seen in netget.sourceforge.net, a
web-downloading tool in java written by me.

I'd also like konqueror to display the links of the pages visited in the
sidebar, or like that.

* What about - please don't hit me - 'SmartTags' ?

I think this is a great feature which is _abused_ by microsoft, I'd like to
show you how it could be done better with free software:

I'd like the user to be able to select a word/range of words and then click
right mouse button.
In the popupmenu that then pops up should be a new entry:
SmartTags/ContextLookup/whatever the name

This entry should have submenues like 'translate this local' or 'translate
this via net' or 'lookup stocks on wherever' or 'search this on rpmfind' or
like that, all actions/categories configurable by the user.

* tearOffHandles

Why do the KDE menues have no tearOffHandles like Gtk/Gnome has per default?

I think that this is a really fine feature and I'd like to be able to switch
something on in the kde configurator like 'use tearOffHandles in all
KDE-Menues' or like that - *please* make that an option.

Well, at least Kicker shows up tearOffHandles now - that's a start at least
;-)

* about the bookmark editor 'KEditBookmarks' :

I am missing a 'find' action to search the bookmarks, I am also not able to
select multiple bookmarks with shift/ctrl-click and move them ;-(

* the KMozilla view option doesn;t work for me (using mozilla 0.9.3) ?

* restricted javascript

I'd like to restrict javascript more than by host or 'no popups'.

I've got to admit, I've got no idea at all of javascript, all I know is that
it is heavily abused... I'd like to be able to restrict certain features of
javascript (I dunno which myself), or to be able to run javascript in a safe
sandbox etc.

* restricting use by the sys-admin

If I'd be a sys-admin on a range of end-user workstations or alike, I'd like
to restrict the use of konqueror to certain user or groups like:
I allow group 'experienced' to use all features
I will not allow group 'dumbusers' to turn javascript on or get cookies (for
security reasons'
etc.

Alex

- --
                   Alexander Rawass
          Email: alexannika@users.sourceforge.net
http://tuxfleet.sourceforge.net http://qtreemap.sourceforge.net
...but some day you'll be a STAR in somebody else's SKY...