List:       keepalived-devel
Subject:    [Keepalived-devel] Inconsitencies with state labels BACKUP and SLAVE
From:       "Michael Steinmann" <msl () calivia ! com>
Date:       2007-11-08 10:35:15

I see both SLAVE and BACKUP used throughout examples posted on the web
(including in keepalived svn) while the source references BACKUP only. It
looks like in vrrp_parser.c the check is for keyword MASTER and everything
else is assumed to be BACKUP.

https://svn.netfilter.org/netfilter/trunk/conntrack-tools/examples/sync/

Manpage keepalived.conf(5) lists MASTER and BACKUP as possible states, no
mention of SLAVE.

I couldn't find any reference to state SLAVE anywhere in 1.1.15 either.

Also, it looks like the example configuration files for both persistent
and nack got mixed up. With the example configuration, both nodes are set
to come up as SLAVE with identical priority.

According to the above, one node would need to be configured as MASTER,
the other as BACKUP with different priorities.

It got me confused and I first thought BACKUP had been replaced by SLAVE,
but couldn't find any reference in the changelogs.

--
mike