List:       kdevelop-devel
Subject:    Better toolview
From:       Silvère_LESTANG <silvere.lestang () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-11-29 19:20:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hey,
a lot of plugins and features (Build, Run, Debug, Test and Version Control)
use the standardouputview for displaying what they need to display. But thi=
toolview is quite generic and doesn't correspond to the needs of most of
them, and thus make it difficult to users to understand the UI (the previou=
and next buttons doesn't always do something and the two buttons "Select
activated item" and "Focus when selecting item" are difficult to understand
and irrelevant sometimes).
I try in the last few days to see if it was possible to improve the
standardouputview to full fit the needs of all plugins and features but I
arrived to the conclusion that it's useless as every plugins have a slightl=
different needs.
So I proposed to create a new toolview for each plugins or features which
need one, starting by the Build feature.
I think we need to keep the previous and next item, remove the "Select
activated item" and "Focus when selecting item" buttons and replace them by
a warning and error buttons that we can toggle to display only warnings
and/or errors. I make a little mock up here:
http://www.kdevelop.org/mediawiki/images/b/b8/Build_toolview.png
What do you think about that?

Silv=E8re