List:       kdevelop
Subject:    Re: Developing Proprietary Software with KDevelop
From:       "F () lk Brettschneider" <gigafalk () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-05-07 14:11:30

Eric Sorensen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My question is, can I use KDevelop to program proprietary software.
Yes.

>  If it is
> not impossible then what areas such as KDE Libraries, Automake, Autoconfig..
> would I have to refrain from using to keep from violating the GNU License?
You can always use KDE, KDevelop, Automake&Co. for developing commercial
software without restrictions.
But you cannot build parts of code of KDE, KDevelop and other GPL-based
in your commercial software.
But your commercial software can use LGPL-licenced code (the KDE
libraries (kdelibs)) as base libraries - means, your commercial
application can link against libkdelibs.so.

> My other option would be to Purchase Borlands Kylix.  It would be interestig
> being able to use the same source codes for a Windows application but the
> staggering prices....
Kylix got a bad assessment in the famous German computer magazin 'ct.

>  I realy like KDevelops price !!  I also want to start
> programming for real in C/C++ (currently am stuck with VB).
You could use the Custom or Terminal project type provided by KDevelop's
project wizard.

Ciao,
F@lk