List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Remote calendar and addressbooks
From:       Andreas Petzold <Andreas.Petzold () mailbox ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2008-01-17 13:15:37

Hi Anne,

Quoting Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com>:

> After getting a hard drive replacement I am struggling to get my laptop
> running smoothly again.  One of my biggest headaches is that something
> drastic seems to have changed in samba-client, and I can't get my remote
> calendar and addressbook.
>
> When adding a resource, I see that one option is 'Calendar on IMAP server via
> KMail'.  How does this work?  What do I need for it?

I'm using IMAP resources for contacts, my calendar etc. for quite a
while now, and it works fine. You don't need kolab for this!

Let me describe my setup, so you can check whether this might be a
solution you can use. It's a rather lengthy description, but if you
get it working, it's really cool. I share the same address book,
calendar etc. between all my kmail installations anywhere in the world
and it works like a charm. I've never had any problems like data loss.
The latter occurred frequently when sharing my address book via ssh
(Network address book).

* I use an online IMAP account for my regular email

* I have configured a dIMAP account for the same user and server as
the online IMAP account

* The dIMAP account does only subscribe to the groupware folders
(contacts calendar etc.)

* The online imap account does not subscribe to the groupware folders
(_local_ subscription to all email folders)

* In Configure Kontact -> Misc -> Groupware I've enabled the IMAP
groupware functionality and I've set the "Resource folders are
subfolders of" to the dIMAP account. In addition I've enabled "hide
groupware folders" and "only show groupware folders for this account"

There is a wizard called 'kolabwizard' that can setup accounts just
like this. However there are some quirks (not only related to
kolabwizard:

* I was unable to supply the full server details (SSL and port) to
kolabwizard. Upon opening kontact, a connection attempt was made once
I wanted to enter the correct server details and of course that was
bound to fail . This screws up the groupware config, because the
correct folders cannot be found.

* kolabwizard tried to create the groupware folders as subfolders of
my inbox, which doesn't work for me (either emails or subfolders in a
folder). Creating the groupware folders as top level folders didn't
work for me (see below), so I created a new folder called 'groupware'
and all groupware folders are subfolders of this 'groupware' folder.

* If "hide groupware folders" is enabled, the dIMAP account will not
show up at all in the server pane. I was a bit confused by this the
first few times I tried to setup the IMAP resource since folder
subscriptions can only be changed when the account is visible in the
server pane.

* Now to the subscription business. There are two types of
subscriptions. "Local subscriptions" and "Subscriptions" (I'll call
them global subscriptions).
- In my setup the dIMAP account is configured to show both locally and
globally subscribed folders and the groupware folders are the only
ones that are globally subscribed to.
- The IMAP account only shows locally subscribed folders which are all
my email folders.
- Above config should in principle hide the groupware folders in the
IMAP account, however locally unsubscribing worked only when the
groupware folders were not top level folders. This might have
something to do with the imap server I'm using, but I'm not sure.
- When I wanted to unsubscribe all email folders from the dIMAP
account, kmail started downloading all my emails from all folders.
AAAARRRGGHHH - to avoid this I'm using an online IMAP account in the
first place. I'm not sure I've ever found a way around that, except
that I've deleted all the downloaded stuff in
.kde/share/apps/kmail/dimap/.XXXXXXX.directory and after that kmail
doesn't try to download the unwanted stuff again.
- if you add a new folder, it my automatically become subscribed to
for the dIMAP account.

* Since the IMAP protocol doesn't support access from more than one client at
a time, don't activate the regular mail check for the dIMAP account.
You will still get error messages from time to time from either the
IMAP or the dIMAP account saying that the connection to the server is
broken. This has been mostly harmless, except that once or twice a
week I have to restart kontact because the IMAP account gets stuck.

I've posted a few of the details already in a thread from August 2007
where Ingo and Volker were trying to help me to get the local
subscription working.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Andreas