List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kontact and kde4
From:       Pablo Sanchez <pablo () blueoakdb ! com>
Date:       2008-01-11 21:12:47

On Friday 11 January 2008 at 3:59 pm, Doug Almquist penned
about "Re: [kdepim-users] kontact and kde4:

> I suspect getting an application in a virtual machine to synch my
> treo with a KDE application like KMail isn't possible.

I realize you're just thinking out loud but personally, I think
anything is possible.  :)

I don't use these types of gadgets (as I have enough other gadgets)
but perhaps the utility you're using on KDE has an import function.

> I really don't want to support Windows within a virtual machine in
> addition to the host OS.  I'm trying to simplify...

I understand.  However it's not like you're actually supporting a
_full_ windows install.  I have Windows 2000 installed in my VM and I
use it for just a handful of needs (the rest runs on my Linux host):

   o Office
   o ERD modeling software
   o VPN software/putty to port-forward to my Host O/S
   o anti-virus software ... :)

Keeping w2k up to date isn't a big deal either with such a limited set
of software.

The fact I can suspend the VM to disk is very sweet.  Bootup after a
suspend-to-disk is very fast on my hot rod laptop.

> I suspect this would be nearly impossible to troubleshoot if things
> started getting wacky.

The VM is _very_ stable.  At least for my limited needs.  What's very
nifty is you can setup a 'network share' to access your Host files.
In my case, I have a share pointing to $HOME.

Once I'm done editing, I use a regular old shell to do the source code
control (from my Host O/S).

> I think I'm going to check out Suse and/or Redhat (without KDE?)to
> see if these do the trick.

I'm using openSUSE 10.3 - however I believe this distro is geared more
for techies which I gather you're not ...

> If I don't like them I'll take a look at vbox or simply Windows.
> Hmmmm... perhaps virtualization isn't so bad.

It really isn't ... but you'll have to make the call of course.
You'll have some initial 'teething pains' in setting up your VM but
after that, you should be golden.  There are some HOWTO's to make the
pain less .... but be warned (so no whining!  <g>) that depending on
your skillset, it may take a bit to get everything setup properly.

> Thanks for the suggestion.

You're welcome.

Cheers,
--
Pablo Sanchez - Blueoak Database Engineering, Inc
Ph:    819.459.1926          Toll free:  888.459.1926