List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Hotsync with Kpilot
From:       Robert Smits <bob () rsmits ! ca>
Date:       2007-12-02 17:23:11

On December 1, 2007 10:14:49 am Charles A. DiMarzio wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This may be a new problem, now that computers are built without serial
> ports.  I hope that you can help me to solve this.  I think I could get
> around this using jpilot instead of kde applications, but I really like
> kontact and the whole kde package.
>
> I have been using a Palm V, over the serial port, with Kpilot.  I
> recently upgraded to a new laptop with no serial port, so I am using a
> USB to Serial connector (PL2303), and KPilot 4.6.0, pilot-link 0.12.1,
> KDE 3.5.5 Release 45, QT 3.3.7.
>
> The Palm shows up as ttyUSB0.    If I use
> pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -u  /tmp
> then all the .pdb files are transferred, so the connection is obviously
> working.  However, kpilot does not work.
>
> When I press the HotSync button, the Sync Progress bar goes up to 30%,
> so something good is happening.  After that, it stops and I get a log
> that looks like this:
>
> Version: KPilot 4.6.0 (blivit)
> Version: pilot-link 0.12.1
> Version: KDE 3.5.5 "release 45"
> Version: Qt 3.3.7

This is a known problem with this combination. From the discussion thread on
kde.org

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kdepim-users&m=117821727513824&w=2

"Yes, unfortunately, this is one of the worst combinations possible
(specifically, kpilot 4.6.0 and pilot-link 0.12.x).  =:(  KPilot 4.6.0 was
released after an extended period of developer inactivity.  In combination
with pilot-link 0.12.x, KPilot 4.6.0 (from KDE 3.5.5) has a bunch of known
problems, some causing data loss, as you've experienced.  I apologize.  What
you need to do is:

1) make backups of your valuable data and put them somewhere safe.
2) make sure you've done #1 before proceeding.
3) update your KDE packages to KDE 3.5.6, which will contain KPilot 4.9.0.
This version is a vast improvement over 4.6.0 and does not exhibit any of the
known problems (including data loss) that plagued the version that you are
running."

The apparent lack of quality control or testing with kpilot versions is VERY
annoying for those of us with pdas we need to keep in sync, especially on
multiple machines. The maintainers, though, seem very helpful at sorting out
particular problems.

Bob

Bob.

--
Bob Smits bob@rsmits.ca
Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your