List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Why is KMail so bad with GMail IMAP?
From:       Art Alexion <art.alexion () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-11-29 19:08:45

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 29 November 2007 13:06:28 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> This is just a wild guess but maybe
> imap.gmail.com reports a wrong number of messages (because it has
> counted the messages before the filters have been applied moving some
> messages from inbox to other folders).

No.  Gmail filters don't move the messages; they just apply tags.  Using the
webmail, a tag is filtered view of the All Mail box.  Using IMAP, the folders
other than Inbox, All Mail, etc. are just virtual folders.  As far as I can
tell, when I delete a message from from one of the virtual folders, it
disappears from the other virtual folders that it is in.

For instance, if I pipe this address through gmail, and create a filter for
this list, list mail will appear in at least 3 places: named
art.alexion@verizon.net, kdepim-users, and Inbox.  If I delete it from the
folder art.alexion@verizon.net, it disappears from kdepim-users as well.  I
don't know if it also disappears from the inbox.

Anyway, because the messages aren't moved, the "premature message count"
theory can't be correct.