List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Why is KMail so bad with GMail IMAP?
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-11-29 18:06:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 29 November 2007, Jim Philips wrote:
> Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Sunday 25 November 2007, Jim Philips wrote:
> >> I am a big user of GMail, so I was pleased when they announced
> >> IMAP support. But with KMail (KDE 3.5.8), the performance is just
> >> awful. If I click on my inbox to view my mail, I get something
> >> like:
> >>
> >> "Retrieving folder contents... Please wait."
> >>
> >> And it can stay like that for an hour. Folders with tagged mail
> >> are viewable, but the inbox with untagged e-mail is not. This has
> >> put me off of KMail and on to Thunderbird, where the performance
> >> is quite fast.  I am using the same settings in both clients. The
> >> instructions I used are at:
> >>
> >> https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77662&ctx=sib
> >>lin g
> >>
> >> I have tried setting the account up both as IMAP and disconnected
> >> IMAP. The disconnected IMAP setting is even worse. My folders
> >> appear, but I can't see anything that's in them.
> >
> > I have just added an IMAP account for my GMail account to KMail. I
> > had no problem opening any of my folders, but I do have only 2406
> > message in my inbox and only 9872 in [GMail]/Trash. On first access
> > KMail downloaded the headers of all messages. This took some time.
> > Afterwards opening the folders was fast.
> >
> > It is possible that we have performance issues with folders
> > containing 20,000+ messages, but folder with up to 10,000 message
> > are no problem here.
> >
> > Make sure that KMail does not try to filter the messages on your
> > IMAP account. Filtering over IMAP is indeed incredibly slow because
> > KMail downloads all messages.
>
> Whatever the problem is, it isn't related to volume. I have about 33
> messages in my inbox.

Maybe that's the problem since I have way more messages in my inbox
(2700+ by now). I'm being serious. Maybe the low number of messages
causes KMail to choke on what imap.gmail.com is sending, e.g. KMail
could be waiting for more to come. This is just a wild guess but maybe
imap.gmail.com reports a wrong number of messages (because it has
counted the messages before the filters have been applied moving some
messages from inbox to other folders).

If you compile kdepim yourself with full debug information enabled then
you'll get loads of debug output both on stderr (so start KMail from
Konsole) and in ~/.xsession-errors. This information might help us
track down the problem.

> Sometimes KMail spends an hour trying to retrieve it, then it just
> times out.

Does this always happen or can you sometimes open the inbox folder? If
you are in the inbox folder, does pressing F5 to trigger a check for
new mail also intermittently result in this hang.

BTW, if KMail hangs while it tries to access an IMAP folder you can kill
the kio_imap4 process to unfreeze KMail. Switching to another account
(or folder ?) and then back to the original folder will usually (but
not always) fix the problem.

> I just tried KMail under KDE 4
> (3.96). The result was a little different there, but I wouldn't say
> better. It did throw a more detailed error message in that
> application:

Did you try this also with other IMAP accounts? I'm asking because I'm
not sure whether IMAP support is supposed to work already in KDE 4. A
couple of months ago it was said to be completely broken.

Regards,
Ingo