List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Why is KMail so bad with GMail IMAP?
From:       Jim Philips <philips_jim () bellsouth ! net>
Date:       2007-11-29 1:22:24

Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 25 November 2007, Jim Philips wrote:
>
>> I am a big user of GMail, so I was pleased when they announced IMAP
>> support. But with KMail (KDE 3.5.8), the performance is just awful.
>> If I click on my inbox to view my mail, I get something like:
>>
>> "Retrieving folder contents... Please wait."
>>
>> And it can stay like that for an hour. Folders with tagged mail are
>> viewable, but the inbox with untagged e-mail is not. This has put me
>> off of KMail and on to Thunderbird, where the performance is quite
>> fast.  I am using the same settings in both clients. The instructions
>> I used are at:
>>
>> https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77662&ctx=siblin
>>
>> I have tried setting the account up both as IMAP and disconnected
>> IMAP. The disconnected IMAP setting is even worse. My folders appear,
>> but I can't see anything that's in them.
>>

> I have just added an IMAP account for my GMail account to KMail. I had
> no problem opening any of my folders, but I do have only 2406 message
> in my inbox and only 9872 in [GMail]/Trash. On first access KMail
> downloaded the headers of all messages. This took some time. Afterwards
> opening the folders was fast.
>
> It is possible that we have performance issues with folders containing
> 20,000+ messages, but folder with up to 10,000 message are no problem
> here.
>
> Make sure that KMail does not try to filter the messages on your IMAP
> account. Filtering over IMAP is indeed incredibly slow because KMail
> downloads all messages.
>

> Regards,
> Ingo

Whatever the problem is, it isn't related to volume. I have about 33
messages in my inbox. Sometimes KMail spends an hour trying to retrieve
it, then it just times out. I just tried KMail under KDE 4 (3.96). The
result was a little different there, but I wouldn't say better. It did
throw a more detailed error message in that application:

"Unexpected Program Termination
Unexpected Program Termination
The program on your computer which provides access to the
imaps://imap.gmail.com protocol has unexpectedly terminated.
Details of the request:
Date and time: Wednesday 28 November 2007 07:35 pm
Additional information: imaps://imap.gmail.com
Possible causes:
This is most likely to be caused by a bug in the program. Please
consider submitting a full bug report as detailed below.
Possible solutions:
Update your software to the latest version. Your distribution should
provide tools to update your software.
When all else fails, please consider helping the KDE team or the third
party maintainer of this software by submitting a high quality bug
report. If the software is provided by a third party, please contact
them directly. Otherwise, first look to see if the same bug has been
submitted by someone else by searching at the KDE bug reporting website.
If not, take note of the details given above, and include them in your
bug report, along with as many other details as you think might help."

I tried the trick of pointing Konqueror at imaps://imap.gmail.com. It
tried to download my inbox and I used Kate for the "open with" choice.
Nothing ever showed up in Kate either.