List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Why is KMail so bad with GMail IMAP?
From:       Jim Philips <philips_jim () bellsouth ! net>
Date:       2007-11-25 20:27:09

Thomas Vollmer wrote:
> On Sonntag, 25. November 2007, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 25 November 2007, Jim Philips wrote:
>>
>>> I am a big user of GMail, so I was pleased when they announced IMAP
>>> support. But with KMail (KDE 3.5.8), the performance is just awful.
>>> If I click on my inbox to view my mail, I get something like:
>>>
>>> "Retrieving folder contents... Please wait."
>>>
>>> And it can stay like that for an hour. Folders with tagged mail are
>>> viewable, but the inbox with untagged e-mail is not. This has put me
>>> off of KMail and on to Thunderbird, where the performance is quite
>>> fast.  I am using the same settings in both clients. The
>>> instructions I used are at:
>>>
>>> https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77662&ctx=sibli
>>> ng
>>>
>>> I have tried setting the account up both as IMAP and disconnected
>>> IMAP. The disconnected IMAP setting is even worse. My folders
>>> appear, but I can't see anything that's in them.
>>>
>> I'm sorry but i have to say that kmail's imap support simply *SUCKS*.
>> I'm really really sorry to use this word, but I'm very disapointed
>> with the "performance" ( actually, I can't even use it).
>>

> For me it works (and worked) well over different types of internet
> connections from 64 KBit/s to that what a 100 MBit/s Ethernet makes when
> it is switched into a 2x2,5 Gps backbone.

So, what do you think is causing the problem? I have a DSL connection
and GMail with IMAP works just fine with Thunderbird. It clearly is not
a network performance issue. My inbox pops right up in that client.
After an hour of waiting, it still doesn't show in KMail. I may be
jumping to bi conclusions, but this says to me that KMail has a problem.