List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail expiry
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-05-19 16:00:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 19 May 2007, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I haven't set any expiry options.  Is there any risk kmail will delete my
> mail?  I don't want it to.
>
> Some of the recent discussion has me a bit concerned, as did the a few
> random references to expiry I noticed in the app.
>
> The handbook I get from the help menu refers to foldersexpiry properties
> that are no longer there.  I gather they have been moved to the expiry item
> that is only available from the folder context menu.  It would be good to
> bring the docs current, as well as to have this available from the main
> menu (just repeating earlier discussion on the latter point).
>
> The only other expiry-related thing I found was in
> settings | configure kmail | misc | folders | exclude important messages
> from expiry.  This setting suggested to me that all other messages are
> expired. This concerned me when I saw it; then I forgot about it; and now,
> seeing the discussion, I'm concerned again.  There is no help tip
> associated with this item.
>
> In short, the documentation and the program are unclear about how this all
> operates.
>
> Apparently some people think expiry is a useful feature.  From my
> perspective it is something that I would never expect an email client to
> do, and it is very dangerous.  So please be careful! I.e., don't make it
> the default, and do let people know what they're doing if they turn it on.
>
> kmail about says 1.9.5, from Debian package kmail 3.5.5.dfsg.1-6.

When the 'exclude important messages from expiry' option came in, I thought it
was a gift from God :-)  Anything that I want to keep long-term gets an
Important flag on it.  Some folders have no expiry set, and contain messages
from 2002 onwards.  Others are set at anything between 7 days and 90 days.
Because you can set the option folder-by-folder, you can make sure that each
folder does exactly what *you* want it to do.

This is on a system using kmail 1.9.6  (recently 1.9.5) locally and mail kept
on a dovecot imap server.  I don't use disconnected imap.  Whatever has
caused problems for others, I can say unequivocally that expiry has caused me
no problems whatsoever.

As to your last sentence, it has never been on by default, at least not on any
system I've used.  If you turn it on for a folder you can even choose whether
to delete completely or move to another folder.  If you read the options
carefully when setting it up you have nothing to fear.

Anne