List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Fwd: KMail + IMAP painfully slow
From:       "Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-05-18 17:28:24

On Thursday 17 May 2007 16:27, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> [...]

It certainly seems to take significantly longer with this version than it did
with earlier versions,  in spite of the fact that I'm now running on a
slightly faster machine.

> > Sounds as if the root of the problem is that KMail is not so good at
> > managing large messages stores, wherever they reside.  But if the
> > messages are in, for example, traditional mbox format, probably
> > accessing the messages causes a bottleneck before indexing/caching
> > becomes an issue.
>
> In fact, KMail is highly optimized for large message stores (i.e. for
> message counts in the tens thousand). Once KMail has indexed a folder
> accessing the folder should be rather quick. But, of course, opening a
> folder with 30000 messages will still be slower than opening a much
> smaller folder.

Optimized for large message stores?  Then why the default behavior of
compacting those folders (that I have *MANY* of) which only exist here for
archival purposes?  And no way to disable this,  either globally or in any
individual folders?  This consumes significant resources on this machine. And
would probably be worse once I switch back to my setup where the messages are
held on another machine and accessed by way of nfs...

It did,  here.  And if I was unfortunately holding down that key (having
actually wanting to hit the shift key so I could use arrow keys to mark a
number of messages) it would bring up a great many copies of the current
message,  each of which had to be closed before I could go back to what I was
doing.  I finally went into the configuration and removed <enter> from the
setup to avoid _that_ waste of time.

> > > You might want to file a bug/wish at bugs.kde.org for this.
> >
> > Yes, that's a simple one.  Anything useful I can do about the more
> > general performance/responsive issues I encountered?  I'm not even
> > sure how many distinct issues they involve.
>
> I guess it would be helpful to collect those issues in a structured way.
> Obviously, it's best if they only describe a single operation at a
> time. If you feel like it you are of course welcome to dig into the
> code.

If time available to deal with this stuff were infinite,  or if I were a coder
to begin with,  I probably would.  But apparently just being a _user_ doesn't
count...

-
M Dakin