List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail's disappearing uitilities and menu items?
From:       "Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-05-16 22:00:15

On Wednesday 16 May 2007 15:39, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > > You do realise, of course, that you can set a toolbar icon for
> > > this?  Settings

> > > can move it around on the toolbar, too, to suit yourself.
> >
> > But then you are still traveling to the top menu area. When I create
> > a new folder for a mailing list, I should be able to right click the
> > folder and select the mailing list options for that folder. Besides,
> > why should I have to make icon buttons for all the per-folder actions
> > I might need?
>
> One of the principles of usability is not to repeat seldomly used
> functionality everywhere. Only often used functionality is added to the
> context menus to keep them relatively small. Obviously, the best
> solution would be configurable context menus so that power users could
> tweak them to their liking. Maybe sometime in the future this will
> happen.

Maybe leaving this in "properties" where it used to be would have been a good
idea.  As stated,  the point when you want to fill this in is when creating a
new folder for a mailing list,  which is also presumably when you'd want to
set expiry options,  which have also been taken out of properties and put in
the context menu -- how often would you change that?

> [...]
> > > individual folders.  That would seem a more logical grouping, to me.
> >
> > Right, and 'Folder contains mailing list' is a *per-folder* setting/
> > action/item.
> >
> > Just as when I want to create a filter on a message I can right click
> > the message and do so (which I miss in Mail.app). Let the "main"
> > folder menu have general settings for folders, and have the per-
> > folder settings on the context menu.  Incidentally, I should have
> > available all menu-like actions on the per-message context menu as
> > well.
>
> According to the people from OpenUsability (who do know perfectly well
> what they are talking about) that's not how it's done. The main menus
> contain _all_ functionality that's available while the context menus
> only contain important functionality.
>
> > Better yet, have the context menu and leave it at that. It is less
> > confusing to users to have the two mean two things. If you insist on
> > both, make them the same menu. That is the least confusing to new
> > users.
>
> Again, according to people in the know, an extremely large number of
> users never use context menus.
>
> > At least your suggestion wold give a decent explanation for new users as
> > to why they are different. But then, for general default folder settings,
> > put it in the main configuration for KMail, with the per-folder context
> > menu providing an ability to override general settings for more specific
> > control.
> >
> > To quote my wife when I explained to her that there was the Folder
> > menu and the per-folder context menu, and that some thing are in one
> > and some in the other, "Well that's just stupid.".
>
> Yes, that's stupid. As I wrote above, all functionality should be in the
> main menu and important functionality should be repeated in the context
> menu. Yes, we are guilty of not having included all functionality in
> the main menu.
>
> > My wife is a Linux user and has been for years, and she makes an excellent
> > point, IMO.  She's no hacker or zealot, she is essentially a "normal"
> > Linux Desktop user, albeit a smart one.
> >
> > Why confuse the user with two options that conceptually should be the
> > same thing but are different, and not in a specific way?
> >
> > Consider this as well. Mac users are used to traveling al the way to
> > the top of the screen for their Menu items (I just got OSX and am
> > learning). Yet with Mail.app, ctrl-clicking the message still brings
> > up a context menu that is almost identical to the Message menu.
>
> If you are interested in usability please discuss this for example on
> kde-usability@kde.org. I'm not going to discuss anything about
> usability with you because I have finally understood (it took several
> years to accept this) that my opinion is (mostly) irrelevant when it
> comes to usability. Nowadays, I do strongly believe in the "You are not
> your user." mantra and accept (often after a brief discussion) the

So that's where those folks that are responsible for these changes might be
found?  Hmm....

-
M Dakin