List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail's disappearing uitilities and menu items?
From:       Gene Heskett <gene.heskett () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-05-13 17:01:29

On Sunday 13 May 2007, Jim Hitch wrote:
>Okay guys, can we draw a line under this now?

Not just yet Jim.

>Lots of good points made, toys out of prams and stuff off chests. I think
> this thread should head elsewhere so that this list can get back to some
> mutual cooperation.

I think maybe I might be understanding the scenario a bit better now.

Suppose that this particular piece of code that handled the expiry was the
output of one programmer, and that programmer is no longer able to contribute
to the overall kde effort.

Then changes in the gui or something seemingly unrelated require compensatory
changes in this code, changes that no one now on the kde team is interested
in, or capable to doing.  A test compile fails, nobody knows how to fix it by
any other means than by excising the code, so that gets done.

So then the long term users like me blow up, and I think we are justified in
venting our spleens a bit over that, because that WAS one of the features
that set kmail head and shoulders above the crowd IMO.

In my own messages to the list about certain things that have gotten under my
skin, such as its single threadedness which causes huge delays in the
composer when its off fetching and sorting the incoming mail, Ingo K. has
generally treated such as something he/they might get around to looking at in
the next universe, maybe.  At the end of the day, he runs the show and I
guess that's his right.

Me, I offloaded the fetching and spamassassin details off to fetchmail and
procmail, with procmail sending the more blatant spams to /dev/null, so that
all kmail has to do is sort the survivors to the correct folder when it finds
something in /var/spool/(gene|amanda|root)/mail to sort.  kmail became much
less of a drag, only lagging when it was doing the sorting and moving.  That,
along with Ingo Molnars latest cfs-v11 cpu scheduler, makes the situation
tolerable as long as the total email corpus is under say 200k messages & not
much more than 20k per folder.

And while I have been gratefull for what I consider to be the best email agent
going for my style of email handling, I haven't said so very well, and that's
a fault of mine.  My apologies to the list and to kde in general for not
saying it louder.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

But, when a valuable piece of code such as this very well thought out expiry
that it DID have, gets excised for reasons we the users aren't privy to, then
I think Ingo K. and company should expect some noise about it to be raised,
it was not a minor feature to us.

I even ran down the yum.repo for kde and updated it all last night.  I like
the newer colors as I think they are more readable.  But that is eye candy
only, and the newer version still doesn't have a configurable expiry.  This
lends credence to the accusations of concentrating on eye candy.

What would you think if the latest and greatest Mercedes Benz, Cadillac or
other luxury car you might have a yen to own someday, suddenly came with
buffalo robes instead of a heater for cold weather?  To us, the users, that's
a (Jackie Gleason here) 'rather revoltin development'.

I rest my case, with a plea to please restore that function to kmail.

>Jim
>
>On Sunday 13 May 2007, Larry Howe wrote:
>> On Friday 11 May 2007 15:12, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
>> > switch away from it to some other software entirely.
>>
>> Roy - please do! There's something vaguely hyopcritical about using
>> someone's own product to criticize them. Well, it's more than just vague.
>> Open source software didn't just come out of nowhere. It's a community
>> effort. There are various ways you can help the community. You can be a
>> beta tester. You can go through bugs in the bugzilla system and help the
>> developers by locating and closing duplicates. You can visit kde.org and
>> make a financial contribution. You can become a developer and implement
>> whatever good ideas you have. There are a lot of ways you can help. But
>> griping about minor perceived flaws in a major system, for which you paid
>> nothing and contributed nothing, is not one of them.
>>
>> Maybe it's a sign of the maturity of open source software that people are
>> starting to take it for granted and assume that it will always be there
>> and will always do exactly what they want, but that's not the case. If you
>> want an option where you have an 800 number where you can call and
>> complain about various issues, then you have that option, but that's not
>> how open source works, or has ever worked, or will ever work.
>>
>> Larry

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
H. L. Mencken suffers from the hallucination that he is H. L. Mencken --
there is no cure for a disease of that magnitude.
		-- Maxwell Bodenheim