List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail's disappearing uitilities and menu items?
From:       "Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-05-11 19:12:27

On Friday 11 May 2007 14:44, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I have been noticing that the busier folders have been getting drying paint
> slow of late, so I went to check the expiry rules, and found them gone!
> For all folders.
>
> This is an uptodate FC6 install, so can I be so rude as to ask WTF?

Howdy Gene,  long time...

There are a number of changes that I'm less than pleased with.  Expiry seems
to have been removed from "properties" (where it should be,  dammit!) and put
on to its own menu entry that I _only_ see when I right-click on the folder.
The "folder holds a mailing list" option is also gone,  and now only shows up
when I click on "folder" up on top of the screen under "mailing list
management" but nowhere else.

There's also a serious bug that cost me some mail -- if you have any folders
set to expire (that box is checked but the one about _unread_ mail is NOT)
it'll delete unread mail anyway.  I posted in here about that a while back
and nobody seems to be able to comment about it -- this is the place for such
stuff,  right?

The workaround for that was to turn off expiry for _all_ folders and to just
delete stuff as I go,  instead of keeping say the last week's worth or
whatever like I used to do,  but that shouldn't have to be.

In additional annoyance,  there are times when I'll be trying to do something,
whether reading or replying,  and I'm locked out of things for several
seconds only to see on my status line at the bottom of the screen that the
software is _compacting_ some folder or other -- as with the expiry crap
above,  this seems to be something automated,  not documented anywhere that
I've been able to find or find out about,  and no way apparent to me to
disable the damn thing,  as it's too resource-intensive on this older machine
and wastes _my_ time,  a limited resource in and of itself.

One further annoyance is that occasionally some keystroke or other will do
something like turn the text that I'm typing boldface.  I don't use HTML mail
at all,  don't have those entries displayed in the toolbar any more (they
were by default),  and find it annoying to have to fix this when it happens.

Finally,  the statusline in my composer currently says "As-you-type spell
checking disabled".  WTF?  I don't have any spell-checking installed,  don't
use it,  don't need it,  don't particularly want it,  and don't want to see
this in my status line!

What I *would* like to see is that long list of errors that shows up on the
TTY I fired things up on go away,  as they've been there with every single
instance of KDE that I've run since the first one,  but nobody seems to want
to be bothered with getting this stuff _working right_.

I've had the idle thought of going into the source and trying to deal with
some of this crap.  But it doesn't seem to be a matter of concern to most of
the folks in here and also strikes me as a process that could turn out to be
extremely time-consuming,  so it's not likely I'll bother doing so.  I
suspect that I'll either go to an earlier version of the software that
doesn't do some of this crap or switch away from it to some other software
entirely.

I don't know WTF the developers and maintainers of this code think they're
trying to do,   but keeping users isn't apparently high on the list of their
priorities,  what with them being so busy with all the bells and whistles and
chrome plating and whatnot.

Fooey!

-
M Dakin