List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Data loss problem
From:       "Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper" <vr () movingparts ! net>
Date:       2007-05-03 13:55:52

Hi Simon,

On Tuesday 01 May 2007, Simon Richards wrote:
[snip]
> For a while (since I installed the Palm WiFi software on my Tungsten T3, I
> think) I was unable to sync at home using KPilot - it was crashing when
> backing up Net Lib - I think this was the database size bug that has been
> reported.

Yes, this was a problem in versions of pilot-link prior to 0.12.0.  It has
been fixed and subsequently fixed in kpilot versions 4.9.0 or greater, since
we now require pilot-link 0.12.0 or greater.

> I have just upgraded from SUSE 10.1 to openSUSE 10.2 specifically to fix
> this problem. After the upgrade I synced my palm, which seemed to work (it
> didn't crash). I synced my palm at work today (Windows XP / Outlook  - I
> can't control that), and it wiped out my calendar data. I think the sync
> with KPilot had wiped out the data on the palm, which I hadn't realised,
> and then the palm wiped out the Outlook data. This is Very Bad as I have
> wiped out my calendar info at work and I can see no way of retrieving it. I
> still have the data at home in Kontact but I can't see a way of getting
> this restored at work.
>
> Can you help?
>
> Kontact 1.2.3
> KPilot 4.6.0 (blivit)
> pilot-link 0.12.1
> KDE 3.5.5 "release 45"
> Qt 3.3.7

Yes, unfortunately, this is one of the worst combinations possible
(specifically, kpilot 4.6.0 and pilot-link 0.12.x).  =:(  KPilot 4.6.0 was
released after an extended period of developer inactivity.  In combination
with pilot-link 0.12.x, KPilot 4.6.0 (from KDE 3.5.5) has a bunch of known
problems, some causing data loss, as you've experienced.  I apologize.  What
you need to do is:

1) make backups of your valuable data and put them somewhere safe.
2) make sure you've done #1 before proceeding.
3) update your KDE packages to KDE 3.5.6, which will contain KPilot 4.9.0.
This version is a vast improvement over 4.6.0 and does not exhibit any of the
known problems (including data loss) that plagued the version that you are
running.

Again, my apologies.  Please update to the latest version of kpilot and
please, please, please let us know if you still have problems.

--
 -[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-
 -[ KDE PIM Developer         //  http://www.kde.org  ]-