List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail: what it's doing...
From:       "Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-04-06 18:27:12

On Thursday 05 April 2007 16:03, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > The "limited machine resource" point was aimed at this.  I don't _want_
> > this software to be using CPU cycles and doing disk activity when I've
> > got a bunch of other stuff going on,  and taking resources away from
> > other things,  I want to be able to do it manually and not have the
> > software "decide" when it's going to do it -- this is a choice,  and one
> > that should not have been taken away from me.
>
> I think the idea is that if it is done very frequently it requires very few
> resources.  Doing it infrequently is a much bigger drain on resources, and
> of course that mustn't happen while you are doing other intensive work.

Just so.

> Unfortunately, doing it manually often means forgetting to do it at all.

I don't see that as much of a problem.

OTOH,  a bit earlier today I saw it "compacting" a folder here that contains
only archived material -- one which _never_ gets any smaller.  I have a LOT
of these on hand here,  and if that's what it's messing with then it's really
wasting a lot more time than I thought.  Those folders need never be
compacted _at all_,  and there seems to be no control over this.

This wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the relatively sluggish
response I get sometimes,  like switching to a different folder brings up the
headers but it's a progression,  first the header of the message that ends up
getting displayed (while the rest of the displayed list contains the header
info from the folder I Just left,  for a bit),  and then only after a
significant delay does the actual message display.  I don't remember things
being this sluggish,  not at all.

Another example is when I want to highlight some text,  say I want to do a
search on it or whatever.  I can see from the status lights and the delay
involved that the machine is actually hitting swap when I right-click in
preparation to ctrl-C for copy.  WTH?

> > > The problems of missing messages appear to be the result of your expiry
> > > settings.
> >
> > Those were only supposed to deal with _read_ messages,  not _unread_
> > ones, though.  Apparently there's something in there that "decided" that
> > some of the stuff was "too old" and just deleted them,  whether I wanted
> > it to or not.  Didn't get around to reading them yet?  Too bad!
>
> I don't know what's doing that.l  It certainly doesn't do it here.  I have
> folders with mail in that date from 2005 - folders without expiry set, that
> is.  I never have unread mail for long, but if the problem existed here I
> would expect to have seen it.

Well,  that's the thing -- it was unread mail.  I lost my connectivity for a
period of a few months,  and then I didn't have access to most of my computer
gear,  just this laptop.  And I wasn't real happy to fire it up,  seeing
unread mail in that last batch of stuff I'd been able to retrieve , and then
watch as the software wiped it out before my eyes before I had a chance to
view most of it.

> Maybe you are going to have to get a more technical answer, after all.

Maybe I'm just going to have to switch to a different mail client,  and stop
using kmail.

-
M Dakin