List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Kpilot Ate my Future
From:       Art Alexion <art.alexion () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-04-03 13:43:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 03 April 2007 08:10, Staci wrote:
> So, I updated to the latest version of KDE and KPilot, but I still can't
> get it working. Then I got weird random errors, like Input/Output Error and
> such, and I haven't had it sync since I upgraded. Now Kpilot just won't
> respond when I start it up, it crashes immediately.  My Palm is a USB
> connection so I think that's part of the problem, altho I don't understand
> why Kpilot doesn't handle that itself.  Why can't it just take the ttyUSB#
> out of the system log each time, that's where I see it... (dmesg)? Anyway,
> below is the message I got when I ran Kpilot from a terminal...Thanks!
>
> Staci
>

> X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
>   Major opcode:  144
>   Minor opcode:  3
>   Resource id:  0x0
> Failed to open device
> X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
>   Major opcode:  144
>   Minor opcode:  3
>   Resource id:  0x0
> Failed to open device

I am going to take a guess that you are using Kubuntu Edgy based on the errors
you are getting and the fact that you are using "the latest KDE".

If by "the latest KDE", you mean 3.5.6, kpilot should work for you.

First, the errors you are getting have nothing to do with kpilot.  Kubuntu
made a decision to include every conceivable input device in the X
configuration.  Everybody without a Wacom tablet who starts a program from a
terminal gets the errors you are getting.  You can (1) ignore them, and (2)
file a bug report -- its sloppy configuration and though it won't hurt
anything, you shouldn't get the errors.

Second, did you install pilot-link as Jason suggested?  There is no indication
in your message that you did.  Kpilot won't work without it.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @