List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] sync one palm with many pcs
From:       Art Alexion <art.alexion () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-03-22 0:01:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 11:43, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 March 2007 09:43, Ralf Dragon wrote:
> > I'm asking myself if it is possible to sync one pilot with multiple pcs
> > (that are not connected). As it is hard to find answers at google, could
> > you please give me experiences or further websites.
>
> I'll got for a qualified "yes" to this question. You will have slow syncs
> when switching PCs since all the data needs to be downloaded from the Palm,
> but it ought to work. Some things will naturally be weird or undetectable:
> I can imagine situations where data isn't removed when it should be because
> the Pilot can't tell that something was deleted on a different machine from
> the one it's syncing against now.
>
> Keep extra backups of everything if you're going to try this.

Regardless of the sync software, when syncing multiple databases, you have to
follow the rule of "one host many clients".  That is if you have handheld
(h), computer 1 (c1), computer 2 (c2), and computer 3 (c3), you can

sync h with c1, c2 and c3, but in that scenario, never thereafter c1 with c2.
Here h is the host and c1, c2 and c4 are the clients.

or you could

sync c2 with h, c1 and c3, but in that scenario, never h with c1 or c3,  Here,
c2 is the host.

To do otherwise is to invite data corruption.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @