List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] setting up POP mail account w/kmail
From:       Joao-Philippe <joaophilippe.mb.monteiro () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-19 4:36:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 18 March 2007 23:13, Robert Smits wrote:
> On Friday 16 March 2007 19:14, Jeff wrote:
> > When I try to use the same info that I use to set up an email acct
> > w/thunderbird, kmail gives me an error message "could not start process
> > POP 3"
> > can't i set up a pop3 acct with kmail??

This reminds me of former installs of Kmail, where I did have to manually add
some dependencies (SuSE93 for sure, older UBUNTUs as well). It looks pretty
close to the kind of message I got @ time of install... years ago.

I just checked my current openSUSE10.2 install, it has changed somehow, I
cannot point you to the right dependencies unfortunately - this hasn't
happened to me over kmail1.2.3 recent install.

What version of kmail are you running ?

When I was on Kmail 1.1, I had to do a research (with YaST or Synaptic) over
the keywords "pop3", "kio" and "kmail" (including "details"
or "description" - I do remember that one missing item to allow kmail to
speak POP3 language was called something around "kio_pop3slave" - probably
not the actual name, but it's a "slave" that features the word "pop". Two
years ago, any new install of kmail required me to take these steps. It may
have been "kde" instead of "kio" though. I assume these missing dependencies
have been merged somewhere between the kdebase package, or kdepim. Can't find
a specific link though, their filelist are way too long.

I hope I am totally missing your point & that your problem is solved
already :) but it just reminds me this past "feature".

cheers

Jean-Philippe

--

Linux openSUSE 10.2 kernel 2.6.18