List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kaddressbook 3.4.2: Disabling backup files?
From:       "Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee () inka ! de>
Date:       2007-03-18 19:01:21

At Sun, 18 Mar 2007 01:55:05 -0700,
Robert Smits wrote:
> Why?

Because they clutter up directories.

> There are only 7 of them and they're all relatively small. They're in
> a hidden directory, and they're not in your way.

Not in my case.  I use kaddressbook to edit vcf files anywhere on the
disk.  I don't keep a central address book.

> Keep them for the day when something overwrites and corrupts your
> std.vcf file and you lose all your contacts.

How should that happen? I know that there are programs that sometimes
don't corrupt native files (Mathematica is a prominent example), but I
hope that kaddressbook isn't one of them.

> Then you simply rename the latest vcf file to std.vcf and you haven't
> lost everything.

I tend to do backups several times a day, especially when I change a lot
of data.

Anyway, IMHO one should be able to disable creation of backup files, or
- even better - to tell kaddressbook to store backup files in a
different directory.  For example one can configure EMACS to store its
backup files in files as "/some/directory/!original!directory!file~".

--
Felix E. Klee