List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Backup of maildir files
From:       Martin Bernreuther <MartinBern () web ! de>
Date:       2007-02-26 21:05:33

Am Montag, 26. Februar 2007 schrieb Dick Angus:
> I just found that out as the tar file is 4Gb+ and ARK fails.
>
> A question on ext3 versus VFAT: If I format the USB drive as ext3 (and by the
> way I would prefer that) can I still transfer stuff to my wife's MiniMac or a
> friends Windows system with that drive?

How about creating two partitions: one to transfer stuff (FAT32) and one for the \
backup (ext3,xfs,reiserfs,...)! It's not that flexible assigning the space, but if \
the USB drive is large enough...

You might also consider rdiff-backup (http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/)
to do the backup then. You also get a history (in case a file gets corrupted and you \
realize that too late after the next backup you still have at least an older version) \
and there's no need for a special recovery tool for the last backup. There are a lot \
of other solutions around \
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/storebackup,http://www.dirvish.org/,http://www.initzero.it/products/opensource/synbak/,
 http://www.flexbackup.org/,http://www.rsnapshot.org/,...) which are a little bit \
simpler to set up than full network backup solutions \
(http://www.amanda.org/,http://www.bacula.org/,http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/,...), \
but rdiff-backup was powerful enough for me up to now.

I'm not sure if tar.gz (or tar.bzip2) is an optimal backup solution.
What about a single data corruption at the beginning of the archive-file.
The compression is done after the archive is formed. Isn't it problematic to \
uncompress the rest of the data after the bad sector then and not only a single file \
but the whole archive might be destroyed?

Regards,
	Martin Bernreuther