List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Backup of maildir files
From:       Gene Heskett <gene.heskett () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-02-26 18:12:30

On Monday 26 February 2007, Dick Angus wrote:
>I am new to this news group and to having multiple e-mail ids. I made a
>mistake yesterday and sent this on the wrong id.
>
>I am running Kubuntu 6.10 with the latest 686 (32 bit) SMP kernel on a
> P4 dual core 64. KDE and KMail (as well as all other software) is kept
> current.
>
>I have been doing regular full backups of my /home/USER_NAME directory
> feeling confident that I was covered. A few days ago I needed to do a
> recovery and found all my e-mail gone. This was damned irritating, to
> say the least. Now, through research, I find this a common flaw in
> KMail and maildir formats. Damned irritating as well is the fact that I
> cannot find any information on how to do a backup of maildir. KMail
> does not have a backup feature, Konqueror fails to copy maildir files,
> and both cp and rcp fail as well. How can a person backup their e-mail
> files with some degree of confidence that they can recover if required?

As far as I can tell, amanda isn't having any trouble with this,
allthough, since the mail system is live 24/7 here, amanda does
occasionally note that one of the files changed while it was being read.
So the recovery might be missing a message I suppose.  It would be a far
bigger problem at recover time in any event since all mail received since
the backup will NOT be in the recovered files.  In the case of the lkml
for instance, that could well be 500+ messages a missing day.  And they
would be lost as I delete from the pop server when they are downloaded.
That's still far better than losing the whole corpus of your email
however.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)