List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Kpilot suddenly won't even detect the palm pilot
From:       Philip Tuckey <philtuckey () free ! fr>
Date:       2007-02-21 18:51:20

On Wednesday 21 February 2007 04:22, Yatin Mirakhur wrote:
> I just recompiled pilot-link 0.12.2, as well as the latest Kpilot
> version from source (rev. 635823). The problem persists. This would seem
> to indicate to me that the problem is not with pilot-link or with
> Kpilot.
>
> Is this some sort of a problem with the kernel itself not properly
> detecting the USB palm pilot? How can I test this?

I agree with Ade that it is a problem with USB or your access to it, you
don't need to be updating your kpilot/pilot-link software.

You should try setting the Palm device back to /dev/pilot. If another USB
device, like a key, is connected while the Palm is disconnected it will
use up one of the /dev/ttyUSBnn devices, and when the Palm connects for
syncing it will get other devices from those it happened to have when you
detected it with the wizard. Also, sometimes the kernel USB subsystem gets
a bit flakey and doesn't see the Palm has disconnected from /dev/ttyUSB0
and /dev/ttyUSB1, so the next time it syncs it gets connected
to /dev/ttyUSB2 and /dev/ttyUSB3. And so on. (A reboot will fix this,
until it happens again.) The good news is that if your udev configuration
is ok, udev will automatically create the symlink from /dev/pilot to the
right /dev/ttyUSBnn device when your Palm connects for syncing, so kpilot
continues to work. (/etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlinks.rules does this, but
only if your Palm identifies itself in English...)

As Ade says, your system log (/var/log/syslog) will show you what USB
devices are attributed to the Palm when it connects.
And 'ls -l /dev/pilot' (while the Palm is trying to sync) will show if the
symlink has been created and to what.

Philip