List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kpilot still broken in 3.5.6?
From:       Jan =?iso-8859-1?q?Neuh=E4u=DFer?= <jan.neuhaeusser () freenet ! de>
Date:       2007-02-12 19:29:13

Sorry,
I sent this email directly to Justin instead of to the list.
So, here it is.
Jan

Am Samstag, 10. Februar 2007 04:05 schrieb Justin Nawrocki:

<snip/>

> I think i've narrowed it down to the fact that my Palm is running a
> Japanese OS.  I noticed that once I changed my Japanese contacts into
> regular roman characters, they started showing up in Kontact after sync.
> If I keep them in Japanese, they tend to either never show up, or just get
> really screwed up on the Palm side after sync.
>
> Furthermore, I believe because of the Japanese OS, addressbook categories
> are not being handled well.  If you look at the screenshot I took
> (http://www.shock-e.com/temp/kontact_addressbook.png) you can see those
> strange characters hanging out after some of the categories.  Those are
> appended to all of the categories I created on the Palm.  What tends to
> happen is if I put a contact in a category on the Palm, once I sync that
> category designation is lost and the contact is no longer in the category.
> Certainly, the contact isn't in a category on the Kontact side.  I'll check
> this out more to see if I can figure out a pattern.

Justin,

have you already checked the setting for the encoding on your Palm?

You can find this in the KPilot-menue under settings -> general -> device (I
hope these are the correct names, in my german version it is Einstellungen ->
KPilot einrichten -> Allgemeine Einstellungen -> Gerät).

There you can find the option encoding, the list-box also contains japanese.
Perhaps this can help you. E. g. I am running utf-8 on my linux machine and
Windows Ansi on my Palm, so I chose cp1252 and everything works fine.

Jan