List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Treo700p Issues Solved?
From:       AndrewL733 <AndrewL733 () aol ! com>
Date:       2007-01-22 5:15:00

I just found a posting via Google from somebody who figured out how to
get his Treo 700p to sync with Kpilot. I wish I could find the posting
again because I would thank this person. I tried it and it worked for me
3 times in a row. This trick may reveal what the issue is with the 700
p, and it provides a good workaround.

BTW, I am running Mandriva 2007 with kpilot.

First, configure Kpilot to use /dev/pilot as the device
Quit Kpilot, then plug in your Treo via the USB cable
check lsusb to see if the treo is showing up. There should be a Palm listing
run:   modprobe visor if you are not already loading that driver
You should see a listing in /dev called "/dev/pilot"

Now, get ready to start kpilot again -- but don't start it yet.

Press the hotsync button on your Palm Treo 700p
Then, about 1 second later Open Kpilot

Your Treo 700p should sync like a charm.

The problem seems to be one of TIMING --  if you have Kpilot already
running when you press the hotsync button on your phone, the device
"/dev/pilot" disappears. It comes back again after 20-30 seconds, but by
then your Treo has crashed.

However, you if start Hotsync and THEN load Kpilot, the device
"/dev/pilot" seems to remain, and the sync goes forward just as you wanted!

Hope this word gets out to a lot of people.

Final note -- my Treo crashes after running Hotsync, both on Linux with
Kpilot and with the Palm Desktop in Windows. It just reboots by itself
and all is good.