List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] kmal and gpg: uids as nametags
From:       Novica Nakov <novica () bagra ! org>
Date:       2007-01-19 14:23:17

Dear all,

Unaware of this list I had a short e-mail exchange with Ingo Klöcker about
some features in Kmail and gnupg usage. I'm sending all the info here so that
other people can see.

From: Novica Nakov <novica@bagra.org>
To: kloecker@kde.org

Dear Ingo,

I hope you don't mind I'm writing directly to you. Your name pops up on most
Google searches on Kmail and Gnupg so I thought it would be OK to ask you for
an explanation.

I'm trying to figure out is there any way Kmail to use the different uids in a
single gpg key. I'm using Kmail 1.9.5 (KDE 3.5.5) and Gnupg 1.4.5. As far as
I can tell Kmail isn't aware of the different uids in the key.

Thanks for any help,
Novica

From: Ingo Klöcker <kloecker@kde.org>
To: Novica Nakov <novica@bagra.org>

> Dear Ingo,
>
> I hope you don't mind I'm writing directly to you. Your name pops up
> on most Google searches on Kmail and Gnupg so I thought it would be
> OK to ask you for an explanation.

You would have better send your message to the kdepim-users@kde.org
mailing list so that other people having the same question would find
your question and my reply.

> I'm trying to figure out is there any way Kmail to use the different
> uids in a single gpg key. I'm using Kmail 1.9.5 (KDE 3.5.5) and Gnupg
> 1.4.5. As far as I can tell Kmail isn't aware of the different uids
> in the key.

I think you are misunderstanding what the UIDs of OpenPGP keys are. You
can (more or less) think of the UIDs as nametags for an OpenPGP key,
i.e. they tell other people who this key belongs to. But they are
completely irrelevant for signing and en-/decryption. If you sign a
message then you do so with one of the signing keys (usually the
primary subkey is used for signing). This signature is then bound to
your key, but it's not bound to one of your UIDs. In fact, through the
primary subkey it is bound to all of your UIDs.

I hope I could help you.

Regards,
Ingo
From: Novica Nakov <novica@bagra.org>
To: Ingo Klöcker <kloecker@kde.org>

> You would have better send your message to the kdepim-users@kde.org
> mailing list so that other people having the same question would find
> your question and my reply.

Sorry, I wasn't aware the of the list. Maybe I can send all of the messages at
the end.

> I think you are misunderstanding what the UIDs of OpenPGP keys are. You
> can (more or less) think of the UIDs as nametags for an OpenPGP key,
> i.e. they tell other people who this key belongs to. But they are
> completely irrelevant for signing and en-/decryption.

Yes I know that. I guess my question is exactly about using UIDs as nametags
with Kmail.

If I have 2 email addresses in two identities in Kmail, and have 2 UIDs with
those addresses, is there a way to tie them to each other using just one key?
So, I'll still sign the messages with the same key, only when using different
identities the UID will show the appropriate name and email information.

I don't know if I'm explaining this clearly. A feature like this for example
is available in Thunderbird with Enigmail.

http://enigmail.mozdev.org/userprefs.html has some explanation:
Try to match secondary uid to from address

Forces Enigmail to search secondary ID's on a keyring to find the matching ID
for the email address used to send the message and display it instead of the
default key ID.

Regards,
Novica
From: Ingo Klöcker <kloecker@kde.org>
To: Novica Nakov <novica@bagra.org>

> > I think you are misunderstanding what the UIDs of OpenPGP keys are.
> > You can (more or less) think of the UIDs as nametags for an OpenPGP
> > key, i.e. they tell other people who this key belongs to. But they
> > are completely irrelevant for signing and en-/decryption.
>
> Yes I know that. I guess my question is exactly about using UIDs as
> nametags with Kmail.
>
> If I have 2 email addresses in two identities in Kmail, and have 2
> UIDs with those addresses, is there a way to tie them to each other
> using just one key? So, I'll still sign the messages with the same
> key, only when using different identities the UID will show the
> appropriate name and email information.
>
> I don't know if I'm explaining this clearly. A feature like this for
> example is available in Thunderbird with Enigmail.
>
> http://enigmail.mozdev.org/userprefs.html has some explanation:
> Try to match secondary uid to from address
>
> Forces Enigmail to search secondary ID's on a keyring to find the
> matching ID for the email address used to send the message and
> display it instead of the default key ID.

Hmm, if I understand correctly then this is about the UID that's shown
by KMail when reading a signed message. For example:
  [Message was signed by kloecker@kde.org (Key ID: 0x1A747E4530E0B9D8).
  [The signature is valid and the key is ultimately trusted.

So if I would have send the message from another email address
corresponding to a UID on my key then KMail would show this other email
address instead of "kloecker@kde.org".

Is that what you mean? If yes, then the answer is that KMail doesn't
support this at the moment.

Regards,
Ingo