List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] KWallet
From:       Boyan Tabakov <blade.alslayer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-01-15 9:34:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On 15.1.2007 06:21, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> OK, I have no idea when / how I setup KWallet. I really don't remember
> doing it. That said:
>
> KMail is wanting to use it to save my password. I rather like the idea of
> using it ... *BUT* as I don't remember anything about the setup of it, I
> have no idea what password might have become associated with it (I tried a
> blank just for kicks).
>
> If I delete the setup and start it from scratch, I'm not going to lose
> anything as I haven't been using it. What files do I need to get rid of to
> convince kwallet that it's never been setup before so it'll let me set it
> up where I know what I'm doing? If it matters, I'm using kubuntu linux.

Setting it up is not what you want to get reverted. The settings of KWallet
are pretty straightforward. As far as I can understand you want it to purge
any saved passwords. To do this start KWallet:

# kwalletmanager &

There may be one or more wallets seen there (depends on how you've used it so
far). Select and delete them all *OR* open them to see what exactly they
contain. Opening the wallet will require you to type it's master password.

KWallet is a nice way to keep securely a large number of passwords that you
don't want to write every time. The passwords are encrypted and thus the need
of the master password (passphrase or whatever).

As for how applications will use it - all KDE applications that might want to
store passwords will attempt to store them in KWallet by default since that
is the preferred and more secure way. No special setup is needed. If you need
to change some settings though, you can do it with either Control Center ->
Security & Privacy -> KWallet or from the kwalletmanager's Settings menu
(same config window opens in either case).

--
Blade hails you...

The truth at the end of time
Losing faith makes a crime