List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] How to do a mailing with Kmail?
From:       Gerard Seibert <gerard () seibercom ! net>
Date:       2006-12-13 11:22:29

On Wednesday December 13, 2006 at 05:30:38 (AM) Damnshock wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 December 2006 01:52, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > On Tuesday 12 December 2006 13:45, Javier Arantegui wrote:

> > > Consider that maybe the receiver doesn't know that it's a mailing
> > > list. Or, maybe the sender doesn't want that the receive knew that the
> > > same email is being sent to several people.
> >
> > They can't _know_ that if you use Bcc and there are ways to specify To that
> > would make it impossible for them to be sure.
> >
> > > I don't plan to use it as an alternative to a mailing list.
> >
> > It is, however, a mailing list.
> >
> > > And I want a correct To field, to be sure that they can reply the
> > > email if they want.
> >
> > The TO address has absolutely nothing to do with the reply address.  By
> > default replies are going to be sent first to the "Reply-to" address, if
> > that's not present possibly the "List-Post" address, and finally by
> > default, the "From" address.  "To" doesn't enter into it.
> >
> > > I know that there is a Reply-address (or something
> > > like that) in the header but I know too that there are email clients
> > > that ignore that field and reply to the To address.
> >
> > Any stupid email client that replied to the To address would quickly end up
> > never being used!
> >
> > I simply can't understand why people are so resistant to using the
> > carefully designed features built into the mail system.
>
> That's because they don't want to learn anything else. Even if it's something
> that will improve their efficiency. Haven't you ever worked with windows
> users??

Blaming the end user for the software developers coding problems is
counter productive. I am willing to bet that 95%+ of the end users are
totally ignorant of RFC's.

AOL use to, perhaps still does, responds to the 'FROM: ' line and not
the 'REPLY-TO: ' header. It may have been corrected however.

BTW, I maintain a couple of mailing list that employ DADA Mail as the
list manager. All mail is sent directly to each individual user -- no
Bcc involved. Then again, VERP is employed, so I am not sure that Bcc
could even be used.

--
Gerard