List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Auto-Discarded message ?
From:       Jean-Philippe Monteiro <joaophilippe.mb.monteiro () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-11-15 3:50:14

Hi from Cambodia!

This is a frightening one:

I can see from my severely restricted Monthly MB Allowance Scheme (250mb for
100USD a month! www.telesurf.com.kh) that I downloaded several times the two
6mb files a colleague sent me yesterday. These files sits in my webmail gmail
account, but do not shows up in my inbox, neither as spam (this colleague is
"registered" as a Non-Spam Sender) or trash can.

Even worse, I can see (given the slow connection here) that I am downloading
these files again & again repetitively, eating up my 250mb allowance very
fast, without errors & without showing up !

The only fault I can spot here is that she either misnamed/forgot to name the
file (a scan of important paper I needed), and it appeared on gmail with an
"UNKNOWN_PARAMETER_VALUE" title, successfully declared "Clean of Virus" by
gmail system. Manually downloaded (aaarg this 250mb limit...), the file
appears to be a .TIFF, somehow corrupted (bottom of page dead, not the actual
scan).

I won't flame anything or anybody, but given my budget constraints, slow
connection & real duties with important outcomes for real people, I hope
someone can drive me through a hint that does not involve the usual "get the
latest code & compile", thanks (I can't compile, it's beyond my capacities,
it has never worked for me). I know my version is pretty old.

Where could this hide ? I checked the Kmail trash & SuSE trash cans, & the
full /.kde/share/apps/kmail tree. Is Kmail featuring an "Erase Strange Stuff"
routine ? How does it handles what it considers Dead/Corrupted/Malicious
files ?

Background info: I work for an NGO in cambodia featuring, among others, a
circus school. While I am in the capital city with a 64kbps adsl, the
organisation is quite deep in the province (5.5 hours away) with an even
worse internet access (2 hours every three days, more or less, dial-up...)
My OS is otherwise stable, updated for security but not necessarily for
anything else.

cheers.

jean-philippe

--

SuSE93 Linux Kernell 2.6.11.4-21.14 KDE 3.4.0 Kontact 1.1 Kmail 1.8
PHNOM PENH - CAMBODIA