List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] copying kmail folders into new kmail  folders..
From:       Jean-Philippe Monteiro <joaophilippe.mb.monteiro () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-09-20 4:21:39

On Friday 15 September 2006 00:53, Richard wrote:
> Guess I will try that next time.
> Rich

I am using Konserve to automatically save to externall Fat USB hdd: it'll do the \
.tar.gz job for you, copy the hidden .stuff also, offer incremental or unique backup, \
and a Restore function which I had the pleasure not to test up to now (!)

Tested, tried: you can't write maildir format to FAT, altough you can save flat mbox \
format to FAT. it is recommended to use maildir, don't ask me why.

For once I tough of converting all to mbox, as I am being paranoid with my mails, but \
it proved to be too much work (and not adviseable somehow), and choosed the konserve \
applet instead, in incremental mode.

Another thing I did anyway was to reformart this external 250gb usb disk to 200gb FAT \
and 50gb linux using fdisk, so I can backup essential Linux files properly, without \
compression. That said, I write one cd a month also: you can't completely trust... \
anything! Konserve can save to a remote server by the way: probably the safest way, \
as serious servers tend to have their own backups.

'Guess cron can do the job also, but command-line is black magic to me.

konserve.sourceforge.net/

Jean-Philippe

--

SuSE93 Linux Kernell 2.6.11.4-21.12 KDE 3.4.0 Kontact 1.1 Kmail 1.8