List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kdepim-users - Problems with Kontact!
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-28 16:32:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Freitag, 28. Juli 2006 17:22 schrieb Theresa:
> Am Freitag, 28. Juli 2006 12:00 schrieb kdepim-users-request@kde.org:
> > Am Mittwoch, 26. Juli 2006 19:22 schrieb Theresa:
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > this is my first time I reply to this mailing list, I actually
> > > only have signed up a few days ago, so please bare with me.
> > >
> > > I'm having major problems with Kontact/Kmail when it comes to
> > > viewing emails - my suspicion actually is that it has to do with
> > > importing emails from a outlook express windows system, dunno if
> > > this was just a good guess or if it's actually causing the
> > > problem.
> > > When I click on my emails to read them or "mark them as read"
> > > they change their sender's name to "Unknown", its subject "No
> > > subject" and its date to "Unknown". This happens within seconds,
> > > so it's hard for me to prevent that. I'm afraid of losing all my
> > > emails :( Don't know, if a screenshot would actually help to
> > > explain the problem!
> >
> > How did you import the messages? The above could be caused by
> > corrupt index files. (Did KMail crash recently?) Or it could be
> > caused by insufficient permissions of the files the messages are
> > stored in. The files must be writable.
> >
> > > My 2nd problem is that I can't add another smtp account - well
> > > i've already added 4, and I don't know if Kmail is limited to
> > > having only 4 smtp accounts. Again, I have no idea what's causing
> > > this problem. I just try to add it and then click "apply" and
> > > then "ok" and then it should be there. but It isn't.
> >
> > KMail surely doesn't have a fixed limit for SMTP accounts. A
> > possible explanation is that KMail wasn't able to save the
> > configuration file. Check whether ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc is
> > writable.
>
> First of all, Thank you Ingo for your reply, you solved my 2nd
> problem! I should have known better ;)

Great.

> As for the 1st problem, I had this old kubuntu system which worked
> fine until I ran out of space, so I bought a new hdd and set up a new
> kubuntu system. Somewhere on the internet I read that you'd only have
> to backup the .kde folder especially the .kde/share/apps/kmail/mail
> folder. and so I did, I replaced it with the current mail folder
> (which at that time seemed empty). And then I started Kontact/Kmail
> and went to read/mark as read the imported emails and basically
> that's what I did.
>
> I remember of going to "File >> Import new messages >> ...." and do
> the whole process, but I can't remember whether it was on my old
> kubuntu system with the Outlook emails on the new Kubuntu system with
> the old Kontact/Kmail mails.
>
> I really hope to sort out this problem, as some of these emails are
> deadly important, and I'd hate the idea of losing them forever.

Did you backup the .kde folder on a CD or DVD? If yes, then this
automatically made all files read-only (because one can't change
anything on a CD/DVD). After copying the files from the CD/DVD to the
new system they are most likely still read-only.

Try whether running
  chmod -R u+w ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail
helps.

Maybe you should even run
  chmod -R u+w ~/.kde
so that everything in .kde is made writeable for you.

> Ps, Ingo are you from Germany? I'm from Austria!

Yes, good guess. :-)

Regards,
Ingo