List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] K-Mail rejected because of headers?
From:       Ingo =?utf-8?q?Kl=C3=B6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-06-25 16:47:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 25 June 2006 03:14, John Phillips wrote:
> On Sunday 25 June 2006 09:49, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > Since you've already switched back to using the mail server of your
> > ISP it should work now, unless your ISP's server is also blocked
> > for some reason. Maybe your messages are now blocked due to your
> > earlier attempts. Only cutter will be able to tell you why your
> > messages don't arrive.
>
> Switched back to SMTP, but still not getting through. (Everybody else
> gets mail except this list, unfortunately!).
>
> This is the reply from cutter:-
>
> "Rexx is just the ISP/Data center, in relation to this we only handle
> the transportation of the messages; the mailing list program itsself
> belongs to PH111. Our involvement ends once your E-Mail is given into
> his account... which if you get the confirmation (which comes from
> his program) ... happened.
>
> He did mention while we were tracking down the failed deliveries that
> he was seeing some odd characters in your mails; perhaps those are
> choking his mailing list program..."
>
> These "odd characters" are as below:-
>
> ">> Below is what I got back.   It looks like you'll need to provide
> >> more info
> >> in terms of bounced e-mails or headers/config info.   I think you
> >> said you use Linux.   Maybe your e-mail settings at that level
> >> need to be readjusted
> >> or maybe your ISP changed something.   Anyway, still nothing
> >> obvious from here.
>
> BTW, a funny character is showing up in your e-mails, e.g. where I'm
> quoted above before "It looks" in the first line, before "I think" in
> the second line, before "Maybe your" in the third line, and before
> "Anyway" in the fourth line, i.e. at the beginning of every sentence.
>   It's ASCII 194 which in my current display looks like an 'A' with a
> circumflex on top and on another as a T-shaped line intersection.   I
> don't know if that's having any effect but it does look weird."
>
> Could these be the issue, and how to overcome?

I suspect that some application replaced two consecutive quote
characters, i.e. two '>' by a double '>' character (the french
quotation mark, called guillemet) although the ASCII code 194 doesn't
seem to represent a guillement in any of the possible character
encodings I tried.

Just to make sure that KMail is not responsible, please check the
settings for "Fallback character encoding" and "Override character
encoding" in the KMail configuration dialog (Appearance->Message
Window). A reasonable value for the former is probably "Western
European ( iso-8859-15 )" while the second option should be set to
"Auto".

Regards,
Ingo