List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] [suse-kde] KDE USB key drive problem in SuSE 10.1
From:       Frank Reifenstahl <f.reifenstahl () seelig ! de>
Date:       2006-06-23 9:53:18

Hi John,

> I have just upgraded to SuSE 10.1 (a clean new install on a machine that
> had been running 9.3), and my key drives no longer automount.  From
> goggling around, I know that SuSE dropped submount and subfs in 10.1, and
> there has been much complaining from those who do not run KDE or Gnome.
> But I am using KDE, and from what I gather, there should be an automount
> system.  CDs and DVDs do automount, but not USB keys.  Am I missing
> something here, or are key drives not  supported in 10.1?  Those not using
> KDE or Gnome have been advised to use ivman and put an entry into their
> fstab for each key.  I would rather not have to do that....
>
> Any suggestions?

I have been fiddling around since upgrading two weeks ago, but your email has
set me to the right track.

In konqueror go to "media:/". After having plugged in your stick something
like "USB MEMORY" should appear as bottom entry. In the context
menu/properties popup of that entry you will find mount options, "mount
automatically" among others. Tagging this made the system behave like I
wanted it to do... But you're right, with SUSE 10.1 it well may be there is
no way outside of KDE/GNOME to get sticks automounted.

Regards
Frank