List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Akonadi incompatible with existing
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-19 18:47:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 19 May 2006 12:16, Gurvan Huiban wrote:
> Finally (correct me if I am wrong), the softwares that allow the user to
> use procmail (mutt, some imap server, and so on) decided to choose the
> "other" solution to avoid synchronization problems (that is not to rely on
> an index file and reparsing the folder/mailbox each time it is open). Is
> that correct?

most of these tools were written without any thought put to interoperability,
really. and most importantly, most of these tools do not have syncronization
issues and/or the requirement to allow fast random access.

> It would answer the "why mutt can and Kmail can't"? ;o)

in the case of mutt it's a bit simpler since mutt figures that just mutt is
dealing with the data. in kde we have kmail, korganizer, kalarmd, kopete,
kaddressbook, etc, etc, etc... it's a much more complex environment.

--
Aaron J. Seigo